John loves to entertain

John loves to entertain
No matter how large or small the event

Thursday, March 8, 2012

This Musician Is Not Meant To Be An Accountant

Being self employed holds many exciting opportunities.  It also, however, creates challenges.  For instance, as a musician my desire is to sit with a cup of Starbucks and pluck away at my guitar hours on end creating music.

I cannot do this while I am also the business end of my name.

My daily work includes making phone calls, booking jobs, writing bills, preparing to teach students, sitting in a small room with students, calling the bank to take care of bounced checks clients have written me, learning computer skills to keep up on emails, iTune downloads and Facebook social networking and then re-learning everything a day later as it rapidly changes.

I would much prefer sitting and creating music with my cup of coffee.  But, houses, food, cars and kids are not free.  I have to also take care of the business end of being self employed.

One day I hope to spend an afternoon, a day, a week or even a month sitting next to an ocean or Great Lake doing nothing but creating, and engaging in worshipful music to my creator.

For now, paying the bills takes priority and steals my joy and time.  Oh how I long for those days of youth where I could sit in the presence of God and pluck away at what I call music.

No comments:

Post a Comment